Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Egyptian Women Fight Back

I have in the past advocated the arming of all Egyptian women with pepper spray (currently illegal in Egypt) in order to deter would-be sexual harassers who have become a blight upon this country.  I can't take credit for the self-defence initiative reported in this BBC News article, but it's a step in the right direction.  Instead of the inocuous "restraint" technique mentioned in the article, however, can I propose the teaching somewhat more offensive Jason Bourne or Steven Segal type moves, preferably rendering the attackers' cojones vestigial?  This would have the added effect of controlling Egypt's ballooning population by sterilizing men who, quite frankly, have no business procreating in the first place. 

2 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Dr. John Maszka said...

Hello,

The Bedouin Project is a great blog.

I'm doing research on how American foreign policy affects popular support for terrorism. My theory is that America’s hegemonic activity fuels popular support for terrorism, but I need data to support that hypothesis. I plan to conduct a large international survey in order to collect that data. Before I conduct the survey, however, I need to devise a survey instrument that is non-biased (non-western, non-white). I strongly believe that the biggest reason that America is losing the war on terror is that we aren’t listening to the people that matter the most—everyone else. The same principal applies to my survey: it won’t do any good if I’m not asking the right questions.

So I’m asking for your help.

I’ve put together a pre-survey questionnaire to help fashion a survey that hopefully will ask the right questions― one that takes race, religion, and gender issues into consideration rather than just making the same old geopolitical assumptions that political scientists in my field tend to make. I’m particularly interested in incorporating the views of women, non-whites, and people living outside of America and Western Europe. The final survey will go out once the pre-survey data has been collected and analyzed.

The survey can be accessed at

http://www.johnmaszka.com/SURVEY.html

Please take a moment and fill out the survey.

Thank you!
Take care,

John Maszka

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

is pepper spray illega? thought it was just mace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home