Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Blog re-re-relaunch

Yeah, so this is about the Nth time I've re-launched the blog, and I doubt anyone out there is even reading anymore, but I figure that now that I'm living in Cairo, a) the whole "Bedouin Project" thing will be more applicable and b) I'll have more to write about than I did whilst living in southern Ontarian suburbia.

Reflections on Cairo (part 1 of many)

Cairo has been labeled as being loud, over-crowded, dirty and polluted. And it is all of those things. But to dismiss one of the world's great cities on such grounds is to miss the point entirely. While, for instance, London may throb with energy, Cairo manically pulsates with palpable palpitations felt through the honking of car horns, throngs of bodies, or the swiftly moving Nile. No, it's not a city for everyone, but no city is. It's not a city for the spoiled or the weak of heart. Cairo won't coddle you comfortably or dote on you. If that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere. You don't want Cairo, and Cairo most likely doesn't want you. Cairo is a demanding mistress, but for those who learn to navigate this city, the rewards are great, and made all the more sweet by the knowledge that so many before have come and failed to see beneath the grime that veils (if I can be cheeky) this city.

I end with a recipe I've been working on for a while now:

Driving in Cairo

Ingredients:

1 part renewed faith in God
2 parts rally racing
2 parts bumper cars
horn honking and swearing to taste

Beat all ingredients together vigorously until complete anarchy is reached, serve hot.

4 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the warm bosom of academia to the warm, bountiful bosom of Cairo! This loud, crazy mistress of a city is happy to have you in her embrace.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Ruwida Ashour said...

REALLY ILOVE CAIRO WITH IT'S CROWED I LOVE IT AS IT'S ,WELCOME BACK

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

at times I consider studying at American University in Cairo so it is interesting to read your description of it.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

dunno...i started my own blog while living in southern ontario and i had tons more to write then. maybe cos i have a social life now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home