Monday, August 22, 2005

Miscellaneous miscellany

I'm rather paranoid about things happening that would impede plans, so I have thus far refrained from initiating a "countdown to London" for fear that I wouldn't get housing, a visa, what have you. But now that everything is set, I feel confident doing so, therefore, I will be in London in:

T minus 31 days.

And now for something completely different. Being a total geek for question of culture, society, etc. I found this article really fascinating. Could this be the start of a Planet of the Apes? It might actually be a step up. As it says in the Sacred Scrolls of the Apes:

"Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death."

-Planet of the Apes, 1968
If you haven't seen it, go do so now


Finally, is anyone familiar with the figure of speech "I like the cut of his/her/your jib"? I'd like to incorporate it into everyday conversation for its whimsy value, but am unaware of its origins or anything. Any assistance in my quest for obscurantism would be greatly appreciated.

let the countdown to continue!

6 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too enjoy throwing in the ol' jib into my conversations. Unaware as to its origins though. Just make something up, people will believe you. Personally, I am singlehandedly trying to bring back "No guff." Its an uphill battle...

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Balcancan said...

Ok, what is this i hear about 10,000 elephants for your arrival?

T - 30, tick tock tick!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Balcancan said...

T = time. I think. Time - [day/hour/nanosecond etc].

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger The Bedouin Project said...

Yes, T = time. It is measured in negative (T minus) in the lead-up to an event, and in the positive in the period following (T plus).

And while we're on the subject, the D in "D-Day" stands for "Day". So really when we say "D-Day" we're saying "Day-Day," which is quite silly.

Furthermore, and this is one of my pedantic pet peeves. I can't stand it when people say ICBM Missile, since the "M" in the acronym "ICBM" already stands for missile.

Sorry, am I being too curmudgeony today?

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Balcancan said...

About jib (courtesy my naval/military historian friend).
A jib is the main triangular front on one of ye olde naval ships. Each country/navy had a different cut of the jib, so you could tell which country the ship was by the cut of the jib arriving in harbour.
I suppose it's become applied figuratively on the first impression you get on a person - by the cut of their jib!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger The Bedouin Project said...

Special thanks to Balcancan to solving the cut of the jib mystery. You win a pint of beer when I arrive in London.

Just goes to show what I've always said: always have a naval/military historian friend. You never know when he/she will come in handy.

I know I haven't updated the blog in a few days, but nothing noteworthy has really been happening. I'll be sure to update it as soon as something does though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home