Thursday, August 18, 2005

Nungunungu

Alright, a few things to talk about today.

First of all, I have officially discovered the coolest word ever, and unsurprisingly, it's not in English. The word is nungunungu, the Swahili word for porcupine. It's rather apropos methinks. Porcupines look like nungunungus...moreso than they look like porcupines I'd say. Say it a few times aloud: nungunungu, nungunungu. See how it rolls gently off the tongue. It is 4 syllables and 3 letters of alliterative delight. I discovered this whimsical word whilst reading this BBC news article. Apparently, the poor cuddly (okay, maybe not) nungunungu of Kenya are the latest culinary delight. Some of the comments below even offer various preparation methods and recipes! Quelle Horreur! Poor nungunungu. One more thing: nungunungu.

Why am I reading articles on nungunungu you ask? Well, because I'm bored out of my mind at work. It finally happened today. After weeks and months of joking about it possibly happening, it actually happened. I had a meeting in order to schedule another meeting. This must be some rite of passage in the 9- 5 office world.

Finally, I've gotten my visa. That's right, even the horrendous sight of this picture wasn't enough to discourage the British embassy from granting me a visa. I know, I don't know what they were thinking either, but this finally means that it's all systems go for London, WEEEE!

7 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Balcancan said...

Sing it everybody! Nungunungu! Nungunungu!!!

What did the nungunungu say to the gnu?
Gnungunungu!
Ahhahaha!

That is the coolest word ever!

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All those comments about how good porcupine can be almost made me complete my vegetarian transformation on the spot.

But then I went and bought sushi.
Back to square one.

It is a solid word though. It really deserves to be in one of those word of the day calendars.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I really do not understand all the fuss about this animal that has good edible meat. Just stop growing crops for one year while you feed on the meat from the kill. Resume farming when they are all gone. "
Anonymous

Sorry to double post. This comment from "anonymous" was too good to not highlight for everyone. Seriously why hasnt the UNDP or someone called this guy up. He seems to have solved sub Saharan poverty in about 30 words. Jeffrey Sachs, eat your heart out.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Balcancan said...

Good idea, but where is all the meat??? Most of it seems to be spikes.

And if they eat all the nungunungu, there will be no more nungunungu left. The world will be a less nungunungu-esque place.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger The Bedouin Project said...

The nungunungu have stolen my thunder! No congratulations for me somehow receiving my visa despite the unlikely circumstances?! Damn you nungunungu!

Still, I don't think nungunungu should be eaten

nungunungu, nungunungu, nungunungu

I should add that nungunungu replaces uvula as my favourite word. try saying it really long and exagerrated...UUUUUUUVVVUUUULLLLAAAAA

for those of you not as cool (read: lame) as me, the uvula is the dangly thing at the back of your throat.

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These comments are great! Big ups for the visa!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Balcancan said...

Nungunungu, nungunungu, nungunungu!

Im starting the Royal Eccentric Society for the Prevention of Extreme Cruelty To Nungunungu:

RESPECT-Nungunungu

(aka in true UN style with its penchant for catchy acronyms.)

Hit it Aretha - R-E-S-P-E-C-T!


PS. Well done Joe! You have a visa with that sexy photo.
PPS. Uvula has NOTHING on nungunungu. Mind you, it would be mildly uncomfortable to have a nungunungu stuck in one's throat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home