Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

So apparently yesterday was my birthday. I had completely forgotten about it until I got an early birthday greeting from my mother the day before. This will now make it the third year running that I'd forgotten about my birthday until someone else reminded me of it. It's not so much that I forget my birthday per se so much as I don't realize what the date is.

Anyways, so I hadn't really told anyone in the office that it was my birthday because, as I mentioned, I didn't realize it until the day before, and it also seems in rather poor taste to explicitly tell people. One of my co-workers added me on facebook though, and realized it was my birthday, and so at the end of the workday (around 9 pm) he sent an email out to the office informing people that it was my birthday, and I suddenly had a stream of people pouring into my office to alternatively berate me for not mentioning it, and to wish me a happy birthday.

A little while later a bunch of us wrapped up our work for the day and headed over to the hotel we always eat dinner at, and one of our group was kind enough to inform the hotel staff that it was my birthday, resulting in the (very mediocre) hotel band playing "happy birthday" and the staff marching out with cakes and candles and whatnot. 'Twas a very nice gesture, if not more than a little embarassing.

So, that was how I spent my 23rd birthday in Libya. Not too shabby overall I think. Sure, some Maker's Mark bourbon would have been REALLY great, but on the whole, a pretty decent birthday nonetheless...as far as birthdays go at least.

Well, that's about it. Thanks so very much to all of you who sent along your electronic birthday wishes, they are truly appreciated.

Salaam...

3 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger KhadijaTeri said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club ;) (the 23 yr old one that is)

happy birthday! (tho a day late and a dollar short)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Balcancan said...

You silly muppet! xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home